Determining a CJ from a SCJ
Some Basic Guidelines:
1) The engine VIN code does not determine a CJ engine from a SCJ engine. The engine VIN code only determines if a CJ or SCJ engine came with Ram Air.
2) Staggered shocks came with all CJ's and SCJ's with manual transmissions only.
3) No CJ's or SCJ's with automatic transmissions received staggered shocks.
4) SCJ's were factory equipped with an engine oil cooler, but not CJ's.
5) Air conditioning was available on the CJ, but not on the SCJ. In 1968, no A/C option was offered for 428CJ Mustangs and Fairlanes. In 1969, only 428CJ cars with automatic transmission could be optioned with A/C. In 1970 & 1971, 429CJ Torinos could be ordered with A/C , but only if power steering was also ordered. Further, none of these items was available with A/C: 'Direct Air' ventilation, delete heater/defroster, and 'optional axle ratio'. 'Optional axle ratio' was different from the Drag Pack option used to order the SCJ in 1970. In 1970/71 A/C was not available on SCJ vehicles from the factory however, Some dealerships did install A/C if the owner was willing to pay for it.
For 1971 429 Mustangs, again P/S was mandatory and the SCJ was disallowed.
6) 428 SCJ's were mandatory when a 3.91 or 4.30 rear axle gear was ordered. CJ's were not available with a 3.91 or 4.30 axle.
7) 429 SCJ's were mandatory when a 3.91 or 4.11 rear axle gear was ordered. CJ's were not available with a 3.91 or 4.11 axle.
8) CJ's and SCJ's (with manual transmission) all received the same big input, close ratio transmission.
9) CJ's and SCJ's (with automatic transmission) all received the same C6 with the cast iron tail shaft.
10) For the best CJ/SCJ comparison, examine original cars at auto shows.
428 SCJ Equipped?
The 428 SCJ with Ram Air (VIN code R) and without Ram Air (VIN code Q). The 428 SCJ engine was automatically installed if a 3.91or 4.30 rear axle "Drag Pack" gear was ordered. The door tag axle character should either be a V for 3.91 axles or W for 4.30 axles.
429 SCJ Equipped?
The 429 SCJ with Ram Air (VIN code J) and without Ram Air (VIN code C). The 429 SCJ engine was automatically installed if a 3.91or 4.11 rear axle "Drag Pack" gear was ordered. The door tag axle character should either be a V for 3.91 axles or Y for 4.11 axles.
The Door Tag:
Door tags are being reproduced, so never count on them alone. For the best verification, look for an original invoice, build sheet or buck tag. Always use caution with CJ/CJ cars. Please seethe section on door tags.
Copyright 1995-2007 - The Ford Torino Page - All Rights Reserved
This page was last edited on 26 July 2007.